As an educator, you might wonder “How do I market my online tutoring business” if you are starting to teach online. Education is evolving, and remote teaching is becoming a more sensible, safe, and lucrative option for educators. The humble, sharing-oriented, nurturing personality of an educator can actually be an impediment to effectively marketing yourself online. This is why we suggest thinking of it as “sharing knowledge”, rather than marketing when it comes to your online teaching.
But, while delivering solid education to your students is the key to what will make your business successful, you may need a little help getting the word out. This is where the Tutor.id team comes in.
As part of a new push to help online tutors succeed, we are putting our advertising budget behind promoting individual tutors. The way we are doing this is through video ads recorded by the tutors that we promote through the Tutor.id Facebook page and within our online communities.
What YOU need to do to participate
- Make sure that you are registered, and your profile on Tutor.id has been confirmed. Here is some guidance, if you need help with this process.
- Make sure your Tutor.id URL DOES NOT include your last name. As we will be showing your content to thousands of people on the internet, we want to make sure that we can protect your privacy while promoting your business.
- Create a video according to the guidelines below.
- Upload your video to a service like Google Drive, Dropbox, or WeTransfer.
- Fill out this form with your Tutor.id profile and video link.
- Be on the lookout for an email from Tutor.id!
We’ll be getting back to every submitter within a few days, letting them know if we can use the video as an ad. For those whose videos we can use, we will dedicate at least $100 in ad spending to help promote your Tutor.id profile. What do you need to make sure your video is acceptable to use as an ad?
Make sure your video ad gets accepted
In order for us to use the video to represent you and Tutor.id, we ask the at the video and audio quality are as high as you can produce. While we don’t expect anyone to hire a professional camera crew, making sure that your recording is done with the highest quality settings on your camera or phone will go a long way. Please pay attention to lighting and sound – make sure that the space you are recording is well-lit, and that the sound of you speaking is clear and noise- free. Here are a few more tips to get the recording right:
- Use a microphone to record your voice, not the built-in phone or camera mic. Using the microphone in your phone headphones works great.
- Position the camera at your eye-level.
- Look directly at the camera.
- Record in a quiet, well-lit area. Make sure the light is not coming from behind you (like sitting in front of a bright window, for example)
For more in-depth tips on how to make a good video, check out this article.
Please be prepared – it’s a good idea to record several versions of your presentation to have more options to choose from. If you seem distracted or confused in your video, we will not be able to use it. If you aren’t sure what to say in your video, we’ve come up with this short script that can provide some inspiration.
You don’t have to be familiar with video editing software to get your profile featured. Simply submit your recording to use following the steps above, and we’ll edit your ad for you!
When in Doubt, ask for help!
If you’re not sure about something, feel free to ask us directly, via this email.